Ped's & Ro Leather Blog

Ped's & Ro Leather Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Strapping Business

I would like to introduce the wonderful world of straps with a few pictures and words.

The current trend of big faced watch demands some serious strap to match it's boldness. To a mainstream consumer, the thin OEM strap that comes with the watch is sufficient. However, for an enthusiast, it hardly wet their appetites. They will crave for something more substantial, stylish and rugged.
There are a number of custom strapper that has made a name for themself. To mention a few, Shane Delaurian, Rob Montana "The Strap Smith", Greg Stephen "GSD" and a relatively new comer "dangerous9straps". These guys has been my first inspiration in the world of leather craft.

Ok, to the picture:

These two are the first two straps that I made few years back, I was stoked on how these two came out, pretty decent for first attempt. However, the leather that was used is way too thick. It's next to impossible to wear these.







For the next strap I still used the same leather but a lot of thinning was done so I can actually wear it. I've improved my skill significantly, all around stitching, cleaner edges and it can be worn!! Very rugged looking strap.


































Next one is made from a hide I bought whilst traveling overseas, lovely red colour with pronounced grain. I absolutely love the hides. 




































My latest creation is an absolute gem, perfect thickness, nice coloured edges and looks much more elegant. It sits well on the wrist and provide enough firmness to support the heavy watch. I traveled to Europe with this and the only noticeable changes is its patina.















































Well that's my journey into strapmaking, it took me a while to honed my skill, and there's still a lot more stuff out there that need be learn, however that's what makes the journey interesting and challenging at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. what did you do to the edges for the last strap and the black one? did you paint it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all the strap that I built, I would smooth the edges first using sanding block. If coloured edges is desired then I would paint it follow by wax and burnish. If natural, I would 'fill' the edge with gum then seal. If using veg-tanned leather you have the option of burnishing the edge naturally, this will give smooth and shiny 'caramelised' finish, although I found that overtime the edge will burnish by its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. เครื่องรัดกล่อง

    ReplyDelete